Different kinds of nutrients in the cannabis plants
Nutrients are substances used by an organism to survive and grow, and providing the appropriate ones to the plant will help the development of its genetic potential.
The different kinds of nutrients are classified in two large groups:
Mobile nutrients: They relocate within the plant depending on wherever needed. As soon as the plant detects a deficiency it transports the necessary nutrients to the affected area. Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K) and Magnesium (Mg) are mobile nutrients.
Immobile nutrients: Once these have been assimilated and transported by the plant, they don’t translocate to the new growing leaves remaining in their original older leaves. Calcium (Ca), Boron (B), Chlorine (Cl), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), Manganese (Mn), Silicon (Si), Sulphur (S), and Molybdenum (Mb) are immobile nutrients.
Knowing the differences between these two kinds of nutrients will allow us to solve any lack or excess of nutrients. For e.g. any change in the lower or upper parts of the leaves.
- The deficiency and the excess of the immobile nutrients are shown by the younger leaves in the upper part of the plant.
- An accumulation of salt blocks the absorption of the nutrient elements causing lacks or excesses.
- The deficiency and the excess of the mobile nutrients are shown by the older leaves in the middle part of the plant.
- Overwatering the plant may damage the roots, not allowing them to operate properly causing lacks or excesses.
- Maintaining a good draining system is essential for a healthy growth.
- You can avoid problems by maintaining correctly the air circulation, the air ventilation, the temperature, the humidity, the light, the water and the organic soil.
Cannabis plants needs non mineral nutrients such as carbon dioxide, hydrogen and oxygen. The carbon dioxide is absorbed through the photosynthesis, the hydrogen is mostly provided by the water of the roots and the oxygen is taken in by the air which is mainly used for the plant’s respiration.
The plant also needs mineral nutrients which are absorbed by the roots from the nutrient solutions. Supplying the plant with the appropriate and necessary nutrients will help contribute in obtaining a maximum yield.
Different kinds of nutrients according metabolic energy
The nutrients can also be classified according to the amount of metabolic energy they provide to the plant:
Primary nutrients or Macronutrients: The most important ones are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium which provide the majority of the metabolic energy used by the plant.
Secondary nutrients: Calcium, magnesium and sulphur provide less energy and help better the intake of the primary nutrients.
Trace elements or micronutrients: Boron, manganese, zinc, iron, chlorine, copper, silicon and molybdenum are essential to obtain a maximum yield, an optimum development and a high quality healthy growth.
The cannabis plants can suffer either lacks or excesses of nutrients. We must know how to detect, control and solve these problems. To find out how to detect these, you can check our article deficiencies and excesses of nutrients in cannabis plants.
These nutrient elements are available in fertilizers. In our cannabis GENEHTIK seed bank we have our own range of fertilizers GENEHTIK NUTRIENTS which are appropriate for a correct and balanced nutrition of the plant.